- Ask the players with a card to walk around throughout the group and exchange cards with five different people - this is called the "Blind Shuffle". (The toes-together players do not get cards - yet.
- Players are asked to not look at the faces of the cards until they are instructed to do so.
- As the card exchanges are happening, ask the players touching toes together to decide what suit of cards they each will represent - each toe-touching player will represent a different suit. (Clubs, Spades, Hearts, Diamonds)
- After five card exchanges players are required to stop right where they are after this last exchange.
- Players are allowed to exchange cards with others after they have stopped moving - you can exchange more than five times, but must stop moving after five exchanges. (This is a bit confusing for some people, so you might need to make sure this is clear before moving on.)
- Once everyone has stopped (still, no looking at cards), the toe-touching players each reveal what suit they represent.
- When the facilitator says, "GO" s/he will start a stopwatch. At this time players can look at the card they are holding.
- The toe-touching players will each go out into the crowd and move to the Ace of the suit they represent. When they find the card they take it from the person holding it and stand in place.
- IMPORTANT RULE: You can only move if you DON'T have a card in your hand. In other words, if you have a card in your hand, you CAN'T move.
- The players that were holding the Aces go off to find the twos of their suit and take it from the people holding them. These cardless players go off to find the threes of their suit and so on until the highest number is reached.
- The players holding the highest number of their suit then move to the middle of the playing area to join toes together.
- When there are four toes touching in the center of the playing area (players without cards), the time stops.
All the best,
Chris Cavert, Ed.D.